Using the card you own
The local elderly travelers card is an irreplaceable, Visa card with $250 pre-loaded to cover expenses associated with travel at retailers.
A 4-digit personal identification number (PIN) will be sent in a separate letter to your card for the purpose of security.
You will need your PIN to finalize certain transactions at retail establishments. Your PIN cannot be used for transactions conducted over the phone or online.
Your local elderly travelers card can be utilized throughout Australia, including in urban areas and when journeying to other states.
Prior to using your cardUpon receiving your card, please sign the back and commit your PIN to memory.
You will need to activate your card before it can be utilized by contacting card services via phone or online.
For additional information, please refer to Managing your card.
Your card can be used for:
- pre-arranged NSW TrainLink Regional train and coach services
- taxi journeys
- fuel purchases at service stations, convenience stores, or mixed businesses that operate under a fuel merchant category code
- fuel for another person's vehicle to support your transportation needs
- electric charging stations
- Opal card top-up payments
- privately-operated coaches
- specific community transport services.
You must verify that the retailer or service provider will accept your card before using it.
If the retailer or service provider allows split payments, you have the option to use:
- your local elderly travelers card along with another card or cash, or
- both your 2023 and 2022 local elderly travelers cards, provided that they have sufficient funds and are operational.
You cannot use your card for:
- withdrawing cash from ATMs, bank branches, or via point-of-sale terminals
- checking balances at ATMs or bank branches
- rideshare services such as Uber
- local bus fares (as most of them only accept cash)
- establishing recurring transactions, such as Opal auto top-up
- purchases that are unrelated to travel
- transactions outside of Australia.
Your local elderly travelers card cannot be transferred, sold, or exchanged for other benefits. If you attempt to utilize it for an unauthorized transaction, your card will be declined.
Opal card paymentsYou have the ability to use your local elderly travelers card to add funds to an Opal card:
- through the Opal travel app
- at service stations that serve as Opal retailers
- via Opal top-up machines available at selected stations, shops, and wharves
- at specific Service NSW Centers
- at Transport Customer Service Centers.
You are unable to utilize your local elder citizens travel card for contactless payments on the Opal network.
Opal card vendorsYou can employ your local elder citizens travel card at designated Opal vendors, which include:
- gas stations or diverse enterprises that sell fuel under the appropriate merchant classification code
- selected Service NSW Centers (Batemans Bay, Bathurst, Cessnock, Erina, Gosford, Goulburn, Gunnedah, Kiama, Lithgow, Maitland, Mittagong, Mudgee, Muswellbrook, Nowra, Orange, Parkes, Queanbeyan, Raymond Terrace, Richmond, Singleton, Tamworth, Toronto, Toukley, Tuggerah, Wallsend, Warners Bay, and Young)
- Transport Customer Service Centers.
Discover your nearest Opal vendor.
Card abuseThe usage of local elder citizens travel cards is supervised to prevent deception. This incorporates verifying:
- if transactions are for travel-connected items and/or at sanctioned retail establishments
- the requested number of cards sent to the same location.
If notified, lost or stolen cards will be swiftly invalidated to forestall abuse.
If your card is invalidated due to misuse, deception, or other reasons, any remaining balance will be reimbursed to the NSW Government.
Card facilitiesYou can contact card facilities 24/7 by:
- visiting nswregionalseniors.cards, or
- calling 1800 569 070.
On the card facilities website, you can register, activate, and manage your card online, including monitoring your balance and reviewing transactions. You can also access frequently asked questions or peruse the Get started with your local elder citizens travel card guide.
Card specimenLocal elder citizens travel card – Front
Local elder citizens travel card – Back
Learn how to cook delicious, mouth-watering beef tacos in the oven. Follow our easy recipe for a quick and satisfying meal that will satisfy your taco cravings.
Indulge in a tantalizing Spiced Egg Delight that will leave your taste buds craving for more. Experience the perfect fusion of aromatic spices and perfectly cooked eggs, guaranteed to make your breakfasts unforgettable.
Convert kJ to Calories on your Apple Watch with this simple 5-step guide. Easily track your energy expenditure and reach your fitness goals. Improve your health and maximize your workouts with accurate calorie calculations. Click here to learn more!
Learn how to navigate the complex dynamics of influencing white individuals, and the impact it may have on your friendships, with Antoinette Lattouf's insightful guide. Discover effective strategies to maintain connections even as you grow and change. Don't miss out on this engaging exploration of friendship and influence.