Recipe for Crispy Chicken Schnitzel
The following recipe for crispy chicken schnitzel is sure to become a fast family favorite. The exterior is crisp, while the interior is soft and tender. Delicious
This recipe for chicken schnitzel is incredibly straightforward, and the entire cooking process can be completed in less than half an hour. In addition to this, you get the opportunity to take out your anger on the chicken by beating it with a rolling pin.
Even though it usually involves getting one's hands quite filthy, learning how to make schnitzel is a very popular activity among children.
[optin-monster-shortcode id="l7c5raqwi7hccua5qbjj"] [Optional Monster Shortcode]
What is Schnitzel
The word "schnitzel" comes from Austria, where it refers to a dish made of veal called a "wiener schnitzel."
An interesting fact is that in Austria, a wiener schnitzel is considered a protected geographical indication, much like champagne is in France. This means that in order to be called a wiener schnitzel, the main ingredient must be veal.
In many other regions of the world, the word "schnitzel" can be used to refer to any cut of meat that has been pounded thin, coated in breadcrumbs, and fried.
There are also variations of schnitzel that are specific to other countries, such as the escalope in France, the milanese in Italy, and the tonkatsu in Japan. Schnitzel can be made from a variety of meats, including veal, beef, pork, or even chicken.
How to make chicken schnitzel
Before you can make homemade chicken schnitzel, you need to first tenderize the chicken and then flatten it out.
First, take a chicken breast and cut it in half lengthwise so that you end up with two pieces of chicken that are long and flat. The chicken should then be placed between two layers of plastic wrap, and you should have some fun pounding it with a mallet or rolling pin.
Not only does this make the chicken easier to cook, but it also tenderizes the meat, which results in it being more succulent and juicy than it would have been otherwise. You want it to be about one-eighth of an inch thick, and you want to make sure that the thickness is consistent all the way through.
After that, we need to coat it in breadcrumbs so that it is completely covered. In order to bread chicken schnitzel, you will need to have three bowls ready: one with flour, one with an egg that has been beaten, and one with breadcrumbs that have been seasoned.
I find that using panko breadcrumbs results in an even crispier finish on chicken schnitzel, but you can use any kind of breadcrumbs you like. You could even use cornflakes that have been crushed up, like we do in the recipe for cornflake chicken nuggets.
In addition to that, one of my favorite variations is a parmesan schnitzel, which I make by mixing grated parmesan cheese with the breadcrumbs. Not only does this make it taste even better, but it also helps keep the chicken moist and gives it a nice golden brown finish.
To give your schnitzel breadcrumbs more flavor, you might want to add the following:
- parmesan cheese that has been grated
- garlic salt
- onion powder
- dried herbs
- cayenne pepper or chili flakes
- salt & pepper
To make schnitzel with breadcrumbs, you must first dredge the chicken in flour, then in egg, and finally in breadcrumbs, making sure that it is evenly coated in each step. Then put it away until you are ready to start the cooking process.
How to prepare schnitzel with chicken
Fry the chicken schnitzel for the crispiest and most flavorful results. In order to achieve the optimal balance of flavor and crispiness in my cooking, I frequently combine butter and oil.
In order to properly prepare chicken schnitzel, first bring the oil and butter in a frying pan to a boil, after which you should add the chicken schnitzel to the pan. When it hits the pan, it should make a sizzling sound.
There are recipes for chicken schnitzel that instruct you to fill the pan with oil to the point where it almost completely covers the chicken. My personal preference is to add only a few tablespoons of oil and one tablespoon of butter, and as long as you have a good frying pan that does not stick, this should be sufficient.
The amount of time it takes to cook chicken schnitzel will partly be determined by the thickness of your chicken and how hot your pan is, but I usually estimate that it will take about 4 minutes per side.
Baked chicken schnitzel
It is possible to bake chicken schnitzel, even though I believe that fried chicken schnitzel is the best in terms of flavor and crispiness, chicken schnitzel can also be cooked in the oven. If you are looking for a chicken schnitzel option that is healthier for you, this is a good choice to make.
It takes approximately twenty minutes in an oven preheated to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit) to bake chicken schnitzel. It is recommended that you spray it with cooking oil or place it on a baking sheet that has been oiled before baking.
What to serve alongside schnitzel made from chicken
There is a wide variety of chicken schnitzel accompaniments available. The traditional accompaniments for a wiener schnitzel are potato salad and sauerkraut served on the side. The dish is topped with a wedge of lemon.
A fun fact about schnitzel is that it was traditionally served with lemon "back in the olden days" to mask the odor of meat that had begun to spoil. Today, all that matters is that we enjoy the flavor.
To accompany chicken schnitzel, popular side dishes include mashed potatoes, french fries, salads, and vegetables. These dishes can be found in pubs and restaurants all over the world. Both steamed rice and buttered noodles are my children's favorite accompaniments to this dish.
Other meal ideas involving chicken schnitzel include the following:
- Make a chicken schnitzel salad
- To make my daughter's favorite wrap, which is filled with cold schnitzel, salami, and cheese, you should make a chicken schnitzel wrap.
- In order to make chicken parmigiana, simply top it with marinara sauce and grilled cheese. When I make chicken parmigiana, I make the marinara sauce by combining my hidden vegetable sauce with tomato paste in order to conceal the presence of additional vegetables.
- To make a chicken burger, place the chicken between two buns and top with cheese and salad.
Pin it for later reference.
There are affiliate links throughout this post. If you use one of these links to make a reservation or purchase something, we may receive a small commission, but there will be no additional cost to you for doing so.
This website, Mama Loves to Cook, is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for websites to earn advertising fees by advertising on Amazon and linking to Amazon.com. com
- You should be left with four large, flat pieces of chicken by slicing the breasts in a horizontal direction along their length.
- Put the chicken in the middle of two sheets of plastic wrap, and then use a rolling pin or a mallet to pound it out until it is about 1/8 of an inch thick. Make every effort to ensure that the thickness is consistent throughout.
- You will need three bowls. Put the flour in one of the bowls. Break the eggs into the second bowl, and use a fork to stir the mixture until it is thoroughly combined. To prepare the stuffing, combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic salt, herbs, salt, and pepper in the third bowl.
- Now, bread the chicken by first dredging each piece of chicken in flour until it is completely covered, then dipping it in egg until it is completely covered, and finally turning it over in breadcrumbs until it is completely covered. Put to the side until you are ready to cook it.
- In a frying pan, melt together 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. When it reaches the desired temperature, add two of the chicken pieces to the pan. When they hit the pan, there should be a sizzling sound. Cook for about three to four minutes, or until the underside is browned. After turning the chicken over, continue cooking it for an additional three to four minutes, or until it is fully cooked.
- It is necessary to repeat step 5 with the remaining two chicken pieces.
Learn how to cook delicious, mouth-watering beef tacos in the oven. Follow our easy recipe for a quick and satisfying meal that will satisfy your taco cravings.
Indulge in a tantalizing Spiced Egg Delight that will leave your taste buds craving for more. Experience the perfect fusion of aromatic spices and perfectly cooked eggs, guaranteed to make your breakfasts unforgettable.
Convert kJ to Calories on your Apple Watch with this simple 5-step guide. Easily track your energy expenditure and reach your fitness goals. Improve your health and maximize your workouts with accurate calorie calculations. Click here to learn more!
Learn how to navigate the complex dynamics of influencing white individuals, and the impact it may have on your friendships, with Antoinette Lattouf's insightful guide. Discover effective strategies to maintain connections even as you grow and change. Don't miss out on this engaging exploration of friendship and influence.