Here are 50 side businesses you can start in Australia to bring in some extra cash.
"menuItems":["label":"Is the side hustle hype or a way to make some cash fast? "]"menuItems":["menuItems":["label":"Is the side hustle hype ","label":"Subscribe to the podcast","anchorName":"#subscribe-to-the-podcast","label":"How much money can you make with a side hustle? ","anchorName":"#is-the-side-hustle-hype-or-a-way-to-make-some-cash-fast","label":"Subscribe to the podcast","anchorName":"#subscribe How much money can you make with a side hustle? ","anchorName":"#how-much-money-can-you-make-with-a-side-hustle","label":"How much can you make on each platform? How much money can you make on each platform? ","anchorName":"#how-much-can-you-make-on-each-platform","label":"How can I ensure that my side hustle is successful? ", "anchorName":"#how-can-i-ensure-that-my-side-hustle-is-successful", "label":"How can I figure out which side hustle will be most beneficial to me? ", "anchorName":"#how-can-i-work-out-the-right-side-hustle-for-me", "label":"What side hustles are Australians doing? ","anchorName":"#what-side-hustles-are-australians-doing","label":"Financing your side hustle","anchorName":"#financing-your-side-hustle","label":"Don't forget tax","anchorName":"#financing-your-side-hustle","anchorName":"#financing-your-side-hus ","anchorName":"#don-t-forget-tax"}]}
Including contributions from Nicole Willing for additional coverage
Financial independence We all strive toward this goal, which can be accomplished by eliminating debt, purchasing a home, or increasing one's savings and investment portfolio.
The only thing is, in order to accomplish this, we will most likely require an increase in income from our 9 to 5 jobs, which will allow us to have more money remaining after deducting all of those bills and other expenses.
A part-time job or other source of supplemental income, in addition to your regular employment, can help you achieve your objective more quickly.
The results of a survey conducted by Finder's Consumer Sentiment Tracker, which included 3,465 participants, indicate that 36 percent of Australians are involved in some sort of extracurricular activity. That is equivalent to 7 million people who have a secondary source of income in addition to their primary source of employment.
We have compiled a list of 51 different ways for you to make extra money so that you can get out there and start making some.
1) Airbnb This concept takes advantage of the fact that purchasing a home is likely to be the single most expensive asset you will ever acquire in your lifetime.
Wouldn't it be fantastic if you could continue to live in your home even if someone else was responsible for paying your mortgage? If you compare this to the traditional rental market, you could potentially increase your income by a factor of two.
When it comes time for you to take a vacation or just get away for a few days, you can keep the money coming in by renting out your home to people who have been thoroughly screened. Discover how Tom's property brings in 0 in weekly revenue for him.
You can sign up to become an Airbnb host in a matter of minutes if you want to get things moving right away.
2) Driving If you have a car and drive to and from work on a regular basis, you are in an excellent position to begin earning additional income.
You are able to work in addition to your regular job, either before or after it, on weekends, and even during your commute.
In your spare time, you could drive other people to the club, to their doctor's appointments, or even to the grocery store using your own vehicle. You can start making money while you drive right now by visiting websites such as Uber.
3) Services related to delivery Today, you can earn extra money by delivering takeout food to your neighborhood and its residents.
You will be compensated by Uber Eats to run errands and deliver food, groceries, and other items along the same lines to customers. If you already ride a bike to work as part of your daily commute, this could be a fun addition to your routine.
You are free to work at your own pace, including on the weekends and at times that are convenient for you.
4) Freelancing/gig economy You might have high-level skills in a particular area because of your work in a specialized field, for example.
You can be confident that your abilities will be valued by someone, somewhere, and that person will be willing to pay you for them. You could, for instance, do some freelance writing in addition to your regular job in journalism, or you could make money off of your videography skills by using your drone.
Websites such as Fiverr and Upwork provide a simple and quick way to start earning extra money right away.
5) Put your money into stock. Investing in the stock market can be a very lucrative way to generate additional income for those who aren't afraid of taking some calculated risks. When you engage in share trading, you turn a profit when you sell individual shares at a price that is higher than the price at which you originally purchased those shares.
Two times per year, dividends are distributed by certain corporations to their stockholders in exchange for a portion of the profits the corporation has generated. This indicates that you are able to receive a continuous flow of passive income without ever having to sell the shares or worry about the fluctuation of stock prices.
Exchange-traded funds, also known as ETFs, provide an alternative to the stock market that entails lower levels of risk and allow investors to invest in multiple companies with a single transaction.
Join Finder today to take advantage of our many other member benefits, such as a free credit score and report, free credit mentoring, exclusive deals, and more.
According to the findings of research conducted by Finder, the most lucrative side gig is that of an influencer, brand ambassador, or promotional worker. According to the findings of our research, those who engage in this endeavor as a side gig typically earn an additional $1,204 each month on average.
This was followed by renting out a spare room in the home, which resulted in an average monthly income of approximately 1 for Australians who did this. Delivering food comes in at number three on the list, with drivers earning an average of approximately 2 per week.
How much money is it possible for you to make on each platform?
We have evaluated a few of the most common opportunities for supplemental income and calculated the possible earnings.
1 - 7 of 7
Regularly revised and updated
If you want your side hustle to be successful, you need to have a plan and adjust the way you think about how you spend your time. Here are six important considerations for you to make:
- Be practical with how you spend your time. If you intend to take your side hustle seriously, you should be prepared to devote some of your leisure time, in addition to the time you spend working, to it.
- You're going to need to have self-control. You need to be ready to put in work on your side gig even when your friends and family are out having fun and you're wishing you could join in on the festivities with them.
- Evaluate your skills Choose a job that makes good use of your skills, as you will need the appropriate knowledge and abilities to make them successful in whatever capacity you choose to put them to use.
- Do some digging into your idea. Before investing time and resources into getting started, you should put your idea to the test to determine whether or not it is a practical way for you to make money that is compatible with your current situation and desired way of life.
- Establish unmistakable objectives. These benchmarks need to be quantifiable in order for you to track your advancement and experience a sense of fulfillment as you work to transform your side hustle into a reliable source of income.
- Establish a base of loyal, long-term customers. Multiple customers are required for a side hustle to be considered successful. If your side gig is successful over the long term, you might be able to replace the income you get from your regular job with the money you make from it.
If you're trying to decide which type of side hustle would be best for you, here are some things you should take into consideration:
- Create a list of all of your interests and skills to get started. After all, if you don't have the skills necessary for the job, it's going to be a tough slog for you to succeed. Even if you are capable of doing it, you won't want to spend your free time doing it if it's not something that interests you or makes you happy.
- Be practical in your estimation of the amount of time you will have available. Make an educated guess as to the number of hours and days per week that you'll be able to devote to your side gig. Remember that you still need to get some rest and have some downtime.
- Establish a monetary target. You need to know why you want to make extra money and how much you want to make before you can look into side hustles that have the potential to get you closer to your target. If you only need a few extra dollars, cleaning out your closets and selling a few things on eBay might be all you need to do to meet your financial goals. If, on the other hand, you want to make several hundred dollars, you should think about higher-paying gigs like renting out a room, providing consulting services, or freelancing.
During the holiday season, we polled Australians on the best ways they could supplement their income with additional work.
Data obtained from the Finder Customer Sentiment Tracker from April 2021 through March 2022
Add our inspiration board for side gigs to your Pinterest account.
- Self-financing One of the most time-tested and reliable strategies for securing financial support for a new enterprise is to put aside money over a period of time prior to its inception and grow that savings account. What else could Mark Zuckerberg have done to start Facebook besides it on the side?
- Personal loan Because the majority of lenders require a minimum trading history of six months, it may be challenging to acquire financing for your company. Instead of looking into car loans, you might want to investigate personal loan options.
- Borrow from family and friends who are close to you. Going to the Bank of Friends and Family can be a quick way to help you get your side hustle off the ground when you're just starting out, but you should always be careful not to mix your personal and professional lives too much in the beginning stages.
Don't forget tax
Although doing odd jobs on the side can be a lot of fun, you are still required to report this income to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) in addition to the money you make in your regular job.
In Australia, the first $18,200 of your yearly income is exempt from taxation because it falls within the country's "tax-free threshold." On the other hand, you are only allowed to claim the tax-free threshold once, which means that if you work a second job or launch a side business, the income from the second source will be subject to taxation.
How much do you anticipate having to pay in taxes?
The tax office will look at your total taxable income for the current fiscal year and compare it to previous years. Therefore, if you have a side hustle, it is a good idea to put some of the money that you make from that hustle in a savings account so that you can pay your taxes at the end of the year.
You can get an estimate of how much tax you'll have to pay for the upcoming year by looking at the official tax brackets, which you can find online.
Resident tax rates 2021–22
Foreign resident tax rates 2021–22
What kinds of insurance coverage are needed for a side hustle?
Keep in mind that some of your side hustles might require you to get the appropriate type of insurance for either your business or yourself. Although every side hustle is unique, here are some general guidelines to follow:
- If you're operating your side gig as a legitimate business out of your home, you might need property insurance to cover the products and equipment you have on hand.
- If a customer is dissatisfied with the work you've done for them, there's always a chance they'll file a lawsuit against you. Purchasing professional liability insurance could protect you from any potential legal claims.
- If you deal with members of the general public, you should consider purchasing public liability insurance to protect yourself in the event of an accident.
- Theft, the loss of assets, or injury to a customer who then sues for damages are just some of the unforeseen costs that can be protected against by purchasing a small business insurance package.
Begin with even a modest amount of work as a side gig, and you might be surprised at how quickly it becomes successful. It's possible that it could end up being your primary source of revenue.
Icons created by Freepik, Those Icons, Pixel perfect, pongsakornRed, Smashicons, itim2101, Nikita Golubev, mynamepong, Vectors Market, srip, prettycons, surang, ultimatearm, Flat Icons, and smalllikeart can be found on www.flaticon.com. These icons are licensed under a Creative Commons 3.0 Attribution Non-Commercial license.
The Squad's new gang of misfit anti-heroes should not be held too dear: all are fair game in this rousing blend of humor and violence. Reviews have been overwhelmingly positive, cementing fan hopes that this DC Comics reboot would deliver the explosive mix of laughter and cartoon mayhem they were hoping
Revised on: Thu, 18 May, 2023 at 1:27 PMWhich gadget are you attempting to set in motion?In the event that your television or device is not visible, it means we do not have a functional application for it, or it does not feature a login option on an existing app.To ascertain whether your device will be
If you are looking to buy a product from eBay, all you have to do is type in the item you are looking for in the search bar. However, if you want to search for a particular seller, it requires a bit more effort. Here’s how you can do it.Search for a Seller on eBay on a Web BrowserIf you have had a
A class action lawsuit was initiated against Toyota on behalf of both initial and subsequent motor vehicle owners due to the malfunctioning of the diesel exhaust after-treatment system (DPF System) in their allegedly defective diesel motor vehicles. The DPF System was responsible for capturing and