Eleven Techniques for Battling Birds
It's possible that removing the birds' source of food and water will encourage them to fly away. Carefully fasten the lids of your garbage cans, and cover any composting areas you may have. Pigeons and sparrows are just two examples of the many species of birds that will consume virtually anything. Keeping your house and yard clean will go a long way toward driving away unwanted visitors. Do not leave any potential food sources outside, and if there are any standing pools of water, either fill them in or drain them. 
- If there is a particular plant in your garden that the birds seem to enjoy, you might want to consider potting it up and bringing it inside.
- Do you have any pets that live outside? If this is the case, after they have had something to eat and drink, do not continue to leave the food and water outside. It's possible that the bird feeders and water bowls are what's luring them in.
- Keep your trash cans indoors if you have access to a garage or a passageway that is not open to the public. This is the most effective way to prevent birds from searching your home for food, so you should definitely do it.
If birds are continually finding their way into your home, then they must have an open door or window. Check any dryer vents, pipes, and openings you find while you are walking around your home. Cover the opening with mesh wire if there's even the slightest possibility that a bird could fly in and make itself at home. Birds have a propensity for loving to nest in attics, rafters, and crawl spaces, so preventing them from entering your home is important. 
- Get in touch with a roofing contractor to have mesh wire installed on your roof. It is not a good idea to wander around up there unless your roof is completely flat.
- Caulk or flashing should be used to seal any gaps or openings that aren't supposed to be there. Silicone caulk can also be used.
- The installation of mesh wire over your gutters will prevent birds from perching on them while also preventing the accumulation of various kinds of junk. That works out to everyone's benefit.
If birds enter the area, fake predators will scare them away and cause them to leave. Put an assortment of low-cost animal decoys made of plastic all over your property. Choose birds' natural enemies, such as snakes, owls, or even coyotes; they make excellent prey. Place one or two of these along the rim of the bird-infested area to deter them from entering. Replace them with new ones every few days in order to maintain the birds' sense of alertness. If birds believe that they are going to be in danger, they will be much less likely to stay in the area. 
- Birds have an intelligence that belies their appearance, and if you keep your decoys in the same place for too long, the birds will figure out that they are not real.
Birds will naturally steer clear of anything reflective; therefore, it is important to decorate. Aluminum foil should be cut into strips, and these should be hung from the bushes or trees. Do the same thing with thin disposable pans made of aluminum, punching holes in them. Hanging reflective tape or shiny CDs is yet another method that can be used to deter birds. Make sure that there is enough space for these things to be able to move freely around and spin around. 
- Birds can be effectively driven away from an area using the metallic spinning propellers that are available at most garden centers.
- Objects that are shiny and move slightly every once in a while are the only way to deter birds from approaching them.
Large flocks of birds can be driven away by the use of an occasional loud noise. You don't need to blare death metal out of your window every night either; all you need to do is play a high-pitched noise or listen to a song with the windows open every once in a while. Any noise that is not natural will cause the birds to become disoriented and scared, and if the birds are scared frequently enough, they will eventually learn not to return. 
- It's possible that playing recordings of predatory birds or birds in peril will be especially effective. However, this could cause your neighbors to become upset, so you should only play these sounds occasionally when you are in the presence of birds or if you live in a rural area.  You can download or stream a wide variety of free recordings and compilations online that feature birds in danger.
Spikes should be used to line your gutters and your home for a long-term solution. These X-shaped needles are known as porcupine wire, and they are commonly found along the edges of large buildings. Porcupine wire is an effective way to prevent birds from perching on the building or from building nests on the building. Employ a professional to wrap this material around your home's perimeter, and they will do it for you. 
- Because the birds will still be able to land on the flat portion of the roof that isn't covered with the wire, this strategy will really only be successful if you have a roof that slopes downward.
If you have a dog or a cat, you should occasionally take them outside to frighten away birds. The presence of a bird or a dog will deter birds from staying in one place for an excessive amount of time. Dogs of various breeds, including border collies, sheepdogs, and others, find great joy in the sport of bird hunting and are very skilled at it. Whenever you plan on spending time outside, try scaring away birds by walking your dog around the yard or letting your cat out on the porch. 
- If you have a domesticated indoor cat, you must always keep it on a leash whenever you take it outside.
These machines produce a high-frequency sound that is designed to permanently scare away birds. The sound's frequency lies outside the audible range for people, so they won't be able to hear it. They can be somewhat pricey, but they are incredibly efficient at driving birds away despite their cost. You merely need to obtain some batteries, activate the device, and then place it on your roof or in your yard. 
- If you have any kind of animal companions, you shouldn't use any of these machines. In most cases, cats and dogs are able to hear the sounds that they produce, and by doing so, you may cause your furry friend some unnecessary stress.
- It's a cliche, but moving a scarecrow around can actually keep birds away from your garden. You can pick one up ready-made at your neighborhood arts and crafts store or garden center. Alternately, you could make your own by fashioning a cross out of wood and draping it with clothing that has been stuffed with straw. Put your scarecrow in an area where birds are being a nuisance and watch as they take off in all directions. 
- To prevent the birds from becoming too accustomed to the location of your scarecrow, you should move it around every few days. Altering one's attire can also be of assistance in these situations. If it remains in the same place for an extended period of time, the birds will become accustomed to the scarecrow, just as they did with the fake statues of predators.
If you also want to ward off other kinds of unwanted critters, this is an excellent choice. This solution will not work in all situations, but it is a great tool to have in your toolbox if you want to keep birds away while watering your garden. Ordinarily, all you need to do is put in some batteries and position the sprinkler in your garden. A spray of water will be used to frighten the birds away whenever they make an attempt to land. 
- This will be helpful even if the birds are simply congregating in a tree in the neighborhood. The sudden and loud sound of your sprinkler turning on, which will happen as soon as something triggers it, will drive away any birds in the area.
- These will also prevent nuisance animals such as raccoons, rabbits, and stray cats from causing problems in your yard.
- You shouldn't be concerned about how strong the water current is. This is an effective and non-lethal method for ridding an area of birds.
In the event that there is a roost or nest in the area, it is best to hire a professional to complete the task. Do not take the chance by tampering with a native bird because it is almost always against the law to bother, move, or interfere with them in any way. Get in touch with a wildlife rehabilitation center or a bird removal specialist in your area and ask them to take a look at the situation. They will be able to remove the bird and/or their nest from your property, whether it be your roof, your home, or your yard. 
- If you have a large number of birds nearby, you should just assume that they are protected by the law because the majority of bird species in the United States are protected by federal legislation. Do not attempt to handle them or remove any nests without first getting in touch with a qualified expert. 
- In addition to the fact that it is frequently against the law, birds can be carriers of a wide range of infectious diseases and parasites. It is not prudent to approach a wild bird, its nest, or its eggs because the potential for injury is too great. 
How can I stop birds from nesting in the space above my head?Elmer BensingerIn the city of Spokane, Washington, Elmer Bensinger works as a Pest Control Specialist for Eden Advanced Pest Technologies. Elmer is an expert in integrated pest management and the products associated with it, including insecticides and rodenticides. His career in this field spans over 20 years. He attended South Puget Sound Community College for his studies in business.
Pest Control Specialist
Unlocking this expert answer will show your support for wikiHow.
How do I get rid of those annoying woodpeckers?Elmer BensingerIn the city of Spokane, Washington, Elmer Bensinger works as a Pest Control Specialist for Eden Advanced Pest Technologies. Elmer is an expert in integrated pest management and the products associated with it, including insecticides and rodenticides. His career in this field spans over 20 years. He attended South Puget Sound Community College for his studies in business.
Pest Control Specialist
Unlocking this expert answer will show your support for wikiHow.
Put It Into Words!
Updated: September 14, 2022
Categories: Elimination of Birds as a Pest
- Writers should receive fan mail.
- "I got big birds in my rafters A pitched roof sits atop two trailers in this configuration. They give me nightmares because I have no idea what they are. were, but with the help of this site I'm able to take some preventative measures. " " more
Course OverviewAccording to reports, there were an average of 183 workplace fatalities in Australia during 2019. The White Card Course in NSW aims to create awareness about the dangers that exist in the workplace and how to eliminate potential risks that may cause injuries or even fatalities.This course
Discover a world of films, TV shows, and more with Binge, the leading streaming app. With thousands of titles to choose from, Binge is your go-to destination for all your favourite entertainment. You can even download the Binge app to your Hisense smart TV, giving you unrivalled access to all your
Discover the Convenience of Service NSWLooking to access government services without the hassle of long queues or inconvenient office hours? You need Service NSW - the website and app that puts all your needs just a click away.Get started on the Service NSW website service.nsw.gov.au via your computer
If you're over the age of 4, it's advisable to sign up for a COVID-19 vaccine. Children aged 6 months to 4 years old who are at risk of severe illness from COVID-19 should also receive the vaccine. People over the age of 18 can get a COVID-19 vaccine booster if it has been more than 6 months since their