Department of Transport and Main Roads: Licences with Probationary and Limited Privileges
If you were previously barred from obtaining or possessing a driver's license by a court and you have now completed your disqualification period, you may be eligible to receive a probationary license.
If you held a P1 or P2 license prior to your disqualification, you will be issued a P1 or P2 probationary license. You will be required to hold this license for a minimum of one year. Additionally, you must adhere to the conditions applicable to your P1 or P2 license, including the display of P plates while driving.
If you held an open license before your disqualification, you will receive a P probationary license, which you must hold for at least one year.
Requirements for probationary license holders
- Maintain the probationary license for a minimum of one year
- Carry your license with you at all times while driving
- Maintain a blood alcohol concentration of zero while driving
If you were under the age of 25 at the time of the offense that led to your disqualification, you will also be subject to a restriction on late-night driving. This restriction prohibits you from driving between the hours of 11pm and 5am for a minimum of one year, starting on the day you are granted a probationary license after completing the disqualification period.
You are permitted to:
- Operate any class of vehicle specified on your license
- Receive instruction to operate a higher class of vehicle from someone who holds an open license for that class and has held it for at least one year
If you have been convicted of a drink or drug driving offense and meet the eligibility criteria, you may apply to the convicting court for a restricted license, commonly known as a "work" license.
You will need to complete the Application for an Order Directing the Issue of a Restricted License (s87) (Form F3181) prior to your court hearing. You must submit the application to the Magistrate immediately after being found guilty and before the Magistrate disqualifies you from obtaining or possessing a driver's license.
You can obtain the Application for an Order Directing the Issue of a Restricted License (s87) (Form F3181) by visiting a nearby customer service center of the Department of Transport and Main Roads, a Queensland Government license issuing office, or a Magistrates Court.
Eligibility to apply for a restricted license
To be eligible for a restricted license, you must demonstrate to the court that:
- You are a responsible and suitable individual to continue driving under a restricted license, taking into consideration the safety of other road users and the general public
- You require a driver's license for your livelihood, and a refusal to grant a restricted license would cause significant hardship for you or your family.
Additional information for drink drivers
If the court grants you a restricted license, you may also be required to complete a brief online course regarding drink driving. In the case of a conviction for a drink driving offense within a moderate alcohol limit, and being granted a restricted license, you will also need to participate in the Alcohol Ignition Interlock Program.
You are not eligible to apply for a restricted license if:
- You did not hold a valid open license at the time of committing and being convicted of the offense
- You were driving a motor vehicle that you were not authorized to operate under your open license at the time you committed the offense
- At the time of the offense, you were in the process of learning to drive the next higher class of license under the authority of your Queensland open license
- Your blood or breath alcohol concentration was 0.15 or higher when tested
- At the time of the offense, you were using the vehicle for work-related purposes
- At the time of the offense, you were driving a vehicle that falls under special categories, such as a truck, tractor, specially constructed vehicle, bus, articulated motor vehicle, B-double, road train, taxi, limousine, tow truck, pilot or escort vehicle escorting an oversize vehicle, a vehicle carrying a placard load of dangerous goods, or a vehicle used for driver training by a trainer
- In the past five years, your provisional or open license has been suspended or canceled, or you have been disqualified from obtaining or possessing a Queensland driver's license for a reason other than those described below
- You have been convicted of drink or drug driving or dangerous driving within the past five years
Note: Your eligibility to apply for a restricted license is not affected by a suspension, cancellation, or disqualification.
- An appeal had been filed for
- A mental or physical disability was the reason for the imposition
- The imposition was connected to a special hardship order granted
- Non-payment of a fine led to the imposition
- A 24-hour suspension was imposed due to a drink or drug driving incident
- Failure to appear in court and answer a charge of drink or drug driving resulted in the imposition
- Immediate suspension occurred because of a mid-range alcohol offense.
Requirements for holders of restricted licenses
If a court approves an application for a restricted license, you will receive an order instructing the issuance of a restricted license to you for the duration of your disqualification. This is subject to certain conditions outlined in the order.
The order will limit your driving privileges to specific circumstances directly related to your means of income, and may include details such as the type of vehicle, purpose of travel, and specific times or duration during which you may drive.
You may also be required to hold a probationary license before becoming eligible for an open license.
If you are granted a restricted license, you must:
- Carry your license and the court order at all times while driving, and present them promptly to a police officer when requested
- Adhere to the specified conditions outlined in the court order, including the type of vehicle you are allowed to drive
- Maintain a blood alcohol concentration of zero while operating a vehicle.
Learn how to cook delicious, mouth-watering beef tacos in the oven. Follow our easy recipe for a quick and satisfying meal that will satisfy your taco cravings.
Indulge in a tantalizing Spiced Egg Delight that will leave your taste buds craving for more. Experience the perfect fusion of aromatic spices and perfectly cooked eggs, guaranteed to make your breakfasts unforgettable.
Convert kJ to Calories on your Apple Watch with this simple 5-step guide. Easily track your energy expenditure and reach your fitness goals. Improve your health and maximize your workouts with accurate calorie calculations. Click here to learn more!
Learn how to navigate the complex dynamics of influencing white individuals, and the impact it may have on your friendships, with Antoinette Lattouf's insightful guide. Discover effective strategies to maintain connections even as you grow and change. Don't miss out on this engaging exploration of friendship and influence.